Well I just had the nicest compliment paid to me by a reader. Kind lucinda at belvedere beads has nominated me for a thinking blogger award. I'm blushing here and extremely grateful for the lovely vote of confidence. And I guess part of my duties as the recipient of this nomination is to "pay it forward" as they say. I get to now pick 5 of my favorite blogs that make me think (which I assure you is not an easy task, given how many blogs I love), and pass the honor on to them. So here goes:
1. russell davies' blog is always a good read, full of surprising and smart insights and a lovely, warm take on the world around us. I always walk away from his blog, seeing things from a new and fresh vantage point. Plus, Russell has the rare ability to inject humor and irony into the most commonplace experiences and interactions. He writes beautifully and strikes a tone that always leaves me happy that I stopped by.
2. I love the blog ace jet 170 even though I'm not a typographer or graphic artist in the traditonal sense. The beauty of this blog in my mind, is that it is very narrow and deep, focusing passionately on the subject of type. Every visit, every time is a pleasure and though I don't work in the world of type per se, I always walk away appreciating the discipline in general and the point of view of ace jet 170 in particular. It's a great example of knowledgable curation about a subject near and dear to the author's heart.
3. I'm always drawn back to the amazing work of jade pegler who's blog openly shares her process of creation. I discovered images of her work on flickr and have been hooked ever since. I love her remarkable drawings and otherwordly paper sculptures as well as the open dialogue about her work and process. (I notice that she's been awarded the thinker blogger award from someone else, so I hope she knows she gets a hall pass from my nomination).
4. My 4th choice is a relatively new blog for me, but it's quickly become a favorite. housemartin is a lovely, fresh place full of great interior ideas and the most amazing floral bouquets you've ever seen. I love flowers, as frequent readers already know, and though I attempt to make pretty bouquets from my own garden, I assure you, they are never close to the stunners that I find on this blog. And if the joy of all this beauty wasn't enough, housemartin is due open a bricks and mortar store next year called ink and peat, in my town no less. Happy girl am I!
5. My last choice is the breathtaking gooseflesh who's work is so incredible it just makes me happy every time I see it. Everything that helle jorgensen makes, every single thing, I love. I love her originality, the incredible craftsmanship of her pieces, her use of color, her subject matter and yes, the fact that she is making these breathtaking objects by crocheting them. I mean please. Does get any better than that?
So there you have it. Not an easy task but a fun one nonetheless. Again thanks to lucinda for the kind nomination!